I am focused on delivering results and committed to efficient, effective government that puts citizens first. I’m all in for the 18th District and SW Washington!
My priorities are to:
Champion smart transportation solutions to keep SW Washington moving ahead
- SSB5806 – the bipartisan bill to re-start the planning process for an I-5 bridge replacement – a process supported by our 3 ports, the business community, a majority of SW WA legislators, city and county governments.
- Seeking affordable solutions to improve safety, flexibility and choice in our region such as the bus-on-the shoulder pilot, expansion of voluntary ride-sharing and commute reduction incentives, and off-peak delivery programs.
Help businesses start, grow and prosper for more jobs and a vibrant economy
- Reform of B&O tax to allow small business owners to keep more of what they earn.
- Review of state’s 700+ tax exemptions to determine which pay taxpayers back
- Expansion of job development, training, apprentice and community college programs
- Cutting red tape to allow innovation, development, job creation.
- Support for businesses impacted by unfair Oregon business practices.
- Strong linkages to businesses to understand needs, opportunities, and challenges
- Expansion of emerging and established businesses unique to our district like agriculture, wineries, breweries, tourism, high-tech, higher education, manufacturing.
Fund high quality education that leads to good jobs and a bright future
- Personalized learning options, high standards to prepare students for workplace.
- More investment in career-connected programs in high school and community colleges
- Working with employers to ease transition between high school, job training, or college.
- Full funding of basic K-12 education, lower local tax levies, measurable outcomes.
- Generating incentives that keep and attract new, educated talent for businesses
Eliminate wasteful government spending with priority-based budgeting
- Prioritizing the budget process to fund core services first; government cannot do everything.
- Accountability and incentives for results, efficiency and innovation to guide spending to the best and measurable outcomes.
- A more transparent process, open to, and actively encouraging public comment and scrutiny.
- Ending the practice of borrowing from dedicated funds to feed over-spending.
Create a more open and responsive government that puts citizens first
- Expanded options for citizens’ voice to be heard in Olympia via computer or phone testimony.
- Regular, open, and responsive in-person town hall meetings.
- Improved and timely access for residents of the 18th district in Olympia.
Safeguard privacy, freedom, and liberty as foundations for a just society
- Limited but supportive government focused on core functions that produce measurable results.
- The right of all citizens to live without unnecessary interference.
- Respect for individual property – money, land, possessions, intellectual property.
Ensure safe streets and build strong, healthy, livable communities for all
- Increased opportunities for law enforcement agencies to modernize equipment and improve training.
- Expanded programs of outreach by law enforcement into communities to build strong relationships with all citizens.
- Increased accountability to ensure effectiveness, fairness and efficiency.
Support vulnerable citizens to build stable families, dignity for all
- Stable housing, basic health care services for citizens.
- Investment in effective programs to address rising drug abuse and mental health issues.
- Efforts to mitigate long-term health and mental care costs for individuals and families.
- Increased flexibility to create innovative programs best suited to local needs.